Inspired by Heritage
This project offered six contemporary artists from North Yorkshire the opportunity to research and explore a specific aspect of the collections of county-based galleries or heritage sites, in order to experiment and develop a new body of work for exhibition. The sites, host organisations and artists selected were:
- Whitby Museum, Whitby Literary and Philosophical Society – Lynne Glazzard, jeweller
- Newby Hall and Gardens, Ripon – Tessa Bunney, photographer
- Mercer Art Gallery/ Royal Pump Room Museum – Serena Partridge, textile artist
- Malham Tarn Field Studies Centre – Jackie Hunt, glass artist
- Studley Royal Water Garden – Fiona Bowley, sculptor
- Rosedale, North Yorkshire Moors – Andrew Cheetham, painter
In addition to the public presentation of the individual artworks, a highly successful joint exhibition was held at the Mercer Art Gallery in Harrogate, as well as a seminar on the theme of arts and heritage.
All the artists felt that the project had contributed to the development of their professional practice.
“The residency has given me the opportunity to explore new techniques within my work and create pieces that are, for me, more adventurous and of a slightly larger scale. It has really made me question the way in which I make things and the materials I use within a piece. I still have lots of ideas I want to explore in the future as a result of this project.” Lynne Glazzard